Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Eagle Leather - It's Worth The Ride


One recent weekend we decided to take the long interstate ride south to a place called Eagle Leather. As you can imagine, it is a place to buy leather items. And they have it right!
When I began riding I knew the first thing I had to have was a real leather motorcycle jacket. I had always wanted one. Someone told me about Eagle Leather in Tacoma, which at that time was in north Tacoma. It was an easy drive from north of Seattle where we are. I bought the jacket that I use today and probably will have forever. It fits perfectly with perfect length sleeves and has a thick zip out winter lining. I am never cold in the winter riding with temps down to 40 degrees, and only too hot in the summer when its over 85 degrees. The price was right at $199.00.
On the recent trip I finally broke down and thought I would get a pair of chaps. I've ridden all this time without them, partly because I didn't want the whole 'uniform' leather look. I decided that I really need them for long interstate rides and protection.

Dave thought he would look for a pair of leather 'over pants' that he could wear for protection over his jeans. He wasn't buying the chaps idea; he still identifies them with the Village People...

We took off on a nice sunny and clear day with perfect temperatures in the 70s. It was go straight towards the interstate 5 and head south. It is always a little slow going through Seattle itself, but once we passed that bottleneck it was a pleasant highway cruise all the way towards Tacoma, all the Tacoma exits (many) until Lakewood. There, standing proudly on the corner of a busy intersection was the prettiest sight I'd seen in a long time. Eagle Leather, Motorcycle Gear and Accessories.

We parked and stepped inside the entrance. Immediately I was taken into a state of Nirvana when the earthy aroma of leather instantly permeated my nostrils. I stood there in the center of the store where I had just entered. To my right, as far as I could see, was leather. Towards the windows were mens boots as far as I could see. These were Harley and other name brands of motorcycle boots. To my left, as far as I could see, was more leather. And there were motorcycles here and there in every department just in case you needed to sit on one to try out your chaps or boots or other gear. The whole front of the store on my left was womens boots and shoes. Only good biker brands, and not too much fashion. I had to tear myself away from the boot area because that is where I would spend all my money. I have 2 good pair and that's enough.

I was able to try out and purchase a nice pair of chaps with a little braid decoration down the side. Dave also found a great pair of leather pants that zip up the sides and fit right over his clothes for another protective layer. After purchasing a hair glove, bungee net, and decorative wristband, we left and stopped nearby for a bite of fast food. It was mediocre. The Lakewood area looked like kind of a pit from what I could see.

We headed back out to the interstate and went back the same way we'd come. It was a rugged 75 mph ride on bumpy pavement most of the way until we were nearer Seattle. By the time we arrived home we'd ridden 117 miles round trip. It took us 1 hour and 15 minutes riding each way. It was all worth it for the experience of being surrounded by leather items of every kind. They have gloves, hair wraps and other handy items, as well as a little bit of luggage. I think they excel in the leather goods and should stick with that, and boots. Their prices can't be beat.
If you live anywhere between Portland, Oregon and British Columbia, Canada it is worth the ride to Eagle Leather, Lakewood, WA. You won't be disappointed even if you end up not buying anything. It will be worth the experience.

No comments: