Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year’s Day Ride 2008 and All Is Well

For the last 2 weeks I have had a virus that laid me out and made me want my mommy. It began with a fever, then a weird rash, and then I was stricken with viral arthritis. If anyone has ever had it you can relate. It affected my hands and arms mostly, and for a few days I was in agonizing pain and could not straighten my curled hands or move my arms much. The virus eventually passed and now I am slowly getting back the use of my hands and building up my energy and strength.

Needless to say, with the sickness and the rain/snow we’ve had lately, I haven’t been able to ride my motorcycle. I had made a commitment to ride on Christmas Day, as it is a personal tradition of mine. That didn’t happen……..

On New Year’s Day, I always try to ride as a tradition to start the New Year out right. I hope this will continue my riding good luck throughout the year. The weather cooperated for once and it turned out to be a warm 47 degrees with overcast skies. I grabbed my new camera, which I couldn’t wait to try out, and my husband and I went for a ride. My starting mileage on the Vulcan for 2008 was 381 miles. That's sick!

We cruised down the eastern shore of Lake Washington to a park on Juanita Beach.

There were mass quantities of ducks.

You can see the Seattle skyline across the Lake.
The ride was wonderful, as it was so exhilarating to be out on the bike. The cool air was clean and I made sure to open a few vents in my helmet. I didn’t even need to wear my thermal layer under my jeans. The traffic was light and I guessed it was because there were lots of football games on all day, and others were recuperating from the night before.

On the way home we took the freeway I-405. On my new bike I love to take the freeway and go fast, and challenge the on and off-ramps. The windshield keeps the wind from whipping my head around, so eases the pressure on my neck. As I was riding I felt that moment of Zen when you know you are at peace and harmony with the earth. The ride was so fun and I came home with a new attitude and a few ideas for some longer rides that I want to do in 2008.

So as I look back on New Year’s Day I have a sense of well-being and hope for the future and good things happening in 2008. The day’s ride was much needed and left me with a feeling of peace and calm. Ohmmmmmm………..


Biker Betty said...

Hi Becky, enjoy reading your blog. That's a nice tradition. It was way too cold on Jan 1st for my husband and I to get out. I did get out Friday to ride to work, oh well.

Happy New Year, Biker Betty :)

Becky said...

Happy New Year to you too, Betty. No end of rain in sight here. Just looking for that next dry day....


Biker Betty said...

Dropping by. Woke up today to 3" of snow that was actually predicted for tonight. I had no plans to ride, but I know of a few who had plans today. Guess that won't happyen, lol. Such is the weather.

Janet said...

Becky, I'm so glad SOMEONE got to ride on New Year's Day!! It's just too cold here - LOL Wanted you to know that I just found your blog through Rippin-Kitten and have added you to my blogroll. Always love to read about other women riders! Take care, hope you are feeling 100% very soon!! Best, Janet at

Linda R. Moore said...

Yeah me too. Even if it's pouring I will take it around the block. :)

But the last few years have been glorious.

Sorry you've been unwell!

Becky said...

Thanks Linda. I'm all better now.