Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Destination - ride for food

Almost every time my husband and I decide to go for a motorcycle ride, food becomes the final destination. It is usually on a weekend when we’ve gotten up a little late and decide to ride for a nice breakfast at one of our favorite cafés. Then we might take a longer ride after we are fat and happy.

We plan our routes in advance, making sure that the end of our ride will bring a necessary break and a meal. Even if we are on a long ride, we make sure there is a town to stop in around meal times. Our favorite is to get lunch and we’re willing to ride quite a distance for some of our best remembered meals.

Another thing that makes us happy is to come across a farmer’s market or fresh produce stand. We love to take leftovers from our meal or fruits and vegetables home in our saddlebags.

If you’ve been following the second season of Feasting on Asphalt with Alton Brown on the Food Network, you will see we are not the only people who ride for food. This season seems to have better food stops and more interesting people along the way. What a dream job to ride around the country eating your way through it. They have a good sized group of guys riding together while they are filming on the road. It always looks like the crew can’t wait to eat but have to until they are through filming the segment.

I have many friends who ride motorcycles, and they agree that they also ride for food and a brew. It is a common thread among people who ride to plan where they will land for a meal or a beverage. If you play it by ear, still the best rides eventually involve food.

Good food is one of the joys of life. I enjoy cooking at home, but even better than that is riding your motorcycle to a food destination. Two things I love, food and motorcycle riding. It doesn’t get much better!

6 comments:

Kathleen Jennette said...

You said it... one of my favorite things is just plain old roadhouse food. To find who does the best! Feasting on Asphalt had a donut one the other day!!! Yummmmmm.
I like your blog...hope you don't mind I added it to my links!

Becky said...

Thanks alot for the link. I've been enjoying your blog too. I just finished watching Feasting on Asphalt. He had a pork loin sandwich to die for!

bikerchickz

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

Becky,
This is great! Your style of writing flows beautifully - I have your blog in my 'favorites'. You rock, Becky!

Marian

Jovita @ Inky Impressions said...

I just happen to come across your blog and I'm so glad I did. I'm also a new rider and I've been enjoying every bit of it.

We love to watch Feasting on Asphalt... and I agree this season is so much better and so is riding to eat!

I've added your blog to my blog links and to my feed, can't wait to read more from you.

Becky said...

Thanks Jovi. I've added your link here. Keep up the riding. It gets more fun as you go. I like your Harley.